9/28/07

Mama's Got A Brand New Bag


Felt Flower
Originally uploaded by seeshells.
For the last maybe 3 years, I have only purchased my purses at thrift stores. Kinda a nose-thumbing at fashion, and our spendy society. Plus, I love the thrill of the thrifty hunt!
Unfortunately, each purse seems to have gotten bigger and bigger, until I felt like I was walking sideways and always have neck pain. So I decided to get small! I've been looking for a small purse for the last few weeks (I thrift probably on average of 1.5 times a week), and one issue has been what to do about the wallet? I've been 'in progress' on a cool duct tape wallet, but I don't want to wait on that because I'm paused at a couple design dilemmas and who knows when I'll get those worked out. So I decided that a little purse with wallet area built right in would work great. For now. We have to be flexible about these things.


Purse Hacking
Originally uploaded by seeshells.
Last Saturday, the ArtistExtreeme (my younger son) and I had a little outing while most of the rest of the house was still asleep. Coffee shop, thrift stores, foreign food store (with Kinder Eggs!), it was a great morning. And I found this adorable little purse. Mostly adorable. I love denim, so that's a bonus. And it does have the wallet area, but not really a lot of other room. It had an area that must have been for make-up that I had to overhaul, and I wanted to take off any/all brand name.
The felted flower patch was one priority before I would carry it, as there was a metal logo stuck on right there that was not coming off without ruining the pocket that it's on. More hacks &/or decorations will follow, as now I'm considering the tiny purse a tiny portable canvas and a great way to continue working on my felt embroidering.
But I got the flower patch done yesterday, just in time to load it up last night. I'm off this morning for the last minute purchases that always accompany a vacation, and we leave this afternoon!
Nothing like baptism by fire! We'll see how the purse fares on the vacation. Of course, I will still be carrying a tote bag also most of the weekend, because I need my sketch pad for the Artist's Jam, and my coffee cup, and my camera, and a tin with more felt for the next project, and whatever I pick up at the convention. Oh, and dice! I'm sure I'll be carrying lots of dice!

No comments: