1. A systematic plan of action: “Did you ever carry out your scheme of writing a series of sonnets embodying all the great epochs of art?” (Edith Wharton).
2. A secret or devious plan; a plot. See synonyms at plan.
3. An orderly combination of related parts: an irrigation scheme with dams, reservoirs, and channels.
4. A chart, diagram, or outline of a system or object.
v., schemed, schem·ing, schemes.
1. To plot: scheming their revenge.
2. To contrive a plan or scheme for.
To make plans, especially secret or devious ones.