6/28/06

Marti Gras Amulet Bag

I've made a few amulet bag necklaces with the gourd (peyote) stitch, beading of all sorts is probably my favorite 'craft' to design and do. This one I started relatively soon after hurricane Katrina, after I heard there was a relief effort in the form of fund raising being done by a group called Crafters United, selling their things on Etsy. I designed the bag using Marti Gras colors to celebrate what the hurricane had taken away.
I'm embarrassed to say that due to several reasons, I did not get the bag submitted to the group before they stopped taking donations. I guess partly I thought they wouldn't have an end date to the donations, but of course, they had to.
Anyway, I'm left with something I made specifically to be donated, and I didn't want to keep it myself, or give it, or sell it. Then came the time for my church's silent auction. Perfect. Donating something I made to raise money for a good cause. And I've always wanted to make something to sell at our church auction, so I've met that goal, too. I'm working on designs for next year's auction.

No comments: